Halloween is a holiday filled with trick-or-treating, costumes, and carving pumpkins. While these festivities are fun for children, Halloween decorations can be fire hazards for your children and home. With October being fire safety prevention month, Clean Response wants you to be extra cautious when it comes to Halloween and dealing with fires. Click here to read more on fire safety month and additional methods to avoiding fires in your home.
Please review our following suggestions on how to have a safe Halloween:
- Use electric candles in your jack-o-lanterns. Pumpkins can be easily bumped or fall over on Halloween night, so it is best to avoid using candles to light your jack-o-lanterns. If you do use candles, remember to blow the candle out after using.
- Keep flammable decorations away from candles. People decorate their homes with hay bales, cornstalks, and spider-webs, but these objects could easily catch on fire if placed by candles.
- Avoid Halloween costumes with long trains or ones that are difficult for children to see what’s in front of them. These can cause injuries, especially as it gets dark.
We hope you have a safe Halloween filled with pumpkins, trick-or-treaters, and lots of candy!